Caution advised as burglars strike around Thornbury
PEOPLE are being encouraged to ramp up security on their homes after a spate of evening burglaries in and around Thornbury.
Homes in Thornbury, Alveston and Frampton Cotterell have been targeted in recent weeks, with thieves striking between 7pm and 10pm as it gets dark.
Police said the break-ins have taken place at the back of houses, through doors and windows, with thieves searching upstairs rooms for money and jewellery.
Avon and Somserset Police said people should consider the following if they are going out at night:
- Leaving lights on – especially using timer switches so they turn on and off.
- Making sure curtains are shut so people can’t see homes are empty.
- Put a TV or radio on so it sounds like someone is home.
- Restrict access to your back garden – make sure you have a gate and it is left locked and consider growing thorny plants to make it less accessible to thieves.
- Ask your neighbours to keep an eye on your house – and do the same for them.
If you see someone acting suspiciously in the area, or know who is responsible for the burglaries, please call 999 if someone is in the area, otherwise use our non-emergency number 101.
Comments are closed on this article.