THE small market town of Marshfield is rich in history built up around its strategic location in the heart of Cotswold wool country, near to Bath and Bristol.
Located within an agricultural area, Marshfield gained market status in 1234 and the layout of the town conforms to a typical market town layout with long narrow burgage plots extending back from
the narrow frontages, and served by two rear access lanes now known at Back Lane and Weir Lane.
The church and Manorial Farm are situated to the east end of the village, which may have existed before the planned town.
High Street is the single main thoroughfare of Marshfield and is approximately 350m in length and straight.
The eastern part of the village contains the parish church, Manor House and Home Farm, an important group of historic buildings noted for their architectural features The majority of buildings
lining the street are of 18th century origin although several buildings date from the 17th century. The building style is largely Georgian although each building or terrace has its own individual
style and detailing. The facades of the buildings are unified by the consistent use of local stone and other materials, which adds further character to the village.
St Mary's Parish Church with its tower provides an important focal point that can be observed from numerous points in the village and is a landmark visible from many miles around.