Road closed and homes evacuated in Frenchay explosion scare
A ROAD in Frenchay has been closed today and several homes evacuated after a van containing an explosive chemical caught on fire.
An acetylene cylinder inside the vehicle caught fire on Frenchay Park Road, near Frenchay Hospital, shortly before 11am this morning.
Avon Fire and Rescue Service sent two crews from Temple Fire Station to the scene who used a jet to put out the fire. Firefighters also set up an unmanned hose to cool down the cylinder.
Acetylene, which is used for welding, can cause a risk of exploding and a 100metre exclusion was put in place.
Fire service spokesman James Bladon said: “Six people were evacuated from three homes; others living nearby were asked to stay in doors while the cooling took place. Begbrook Lane was also closed as a precaution.”
The fire has now been put out but crews remain on the scene to ensure the cylinder is cooled and there is no risk of an explosion. They are using a thermal imaging camera to check the heat of the cylinder during the cooling process.
The cause of the fire was accidental.