Chief constable loses court bid to halt the recruitment of his replacement
THE chief constable of Avon and Somerset police has had his bid to block the recruitment of his successor thrown out by a High Court judge.
Colin Port claimed he was unlawfully ‘induced to retire’ from the force by newly-appointed Police and Crime Commissioner (PCC) Sue Mountstevens after refusing to re-apply for his position in November last year.
Earlier today, he asked the Royal Courts of Justice to block the interview process for his replacement and to insist on six months' notice before the interview procedure took place.
But Mr Port’s case was thrown out and he was refused permission for a judicial review of the PCC’s decision.
The Gazette understands Mr Port, who has now confirmed he will not re-apply for his job and will leave the constabulary on January 26, may appeal the ruling which he says was lost on a technicality.
A spokesman for the Office of the Police and Crime Commissioner for Avon and Somerset said: "The High Court has confirmed that the Police and Crime Commissioner's decisions were lawful in every respect. The judge rejected Mr Port's complaints in law, found that they were not even arguable and dismissed the case, costs were awarded against Mr Port.
"We are going ahead with the process to recruit a chief constable and we are holding our interviews this week to appoint the best candidate for Avon and Somerset.
"Colin Port has served the constabulary and the communities of Avon and Somerset with distinction and we wish him every success in the future."
In a statement, Avon and Somerset Police Constabulary said: "There are judicial proceedings ongoing by the chief constable against the Police and Crime Commissioner and therefore, because those proceedings are active, it would not be appropriate for us to comment."