Avon Fire and Rescue Service rescue man from blaze in his Yate home where a year ago they fitted two fire alarms
FIREFIGHTERS are urging more people to make sure they have fire alarms installed after a man was saved by the same crews which fitted an alarm in his Yate home.
The man, aged 50, was woken up by an alarm installed in his bungalow in Kennilwort a year ago just before 3am today (February 26).
He woke to discover smoke in the property but was able to alert a neighbour who helped him escape out of a window and called the fire service.
Two crews from Yate Fire Station and one from Kingswood attended the house and used one hose reel to put out the flames, which started in the kitchen, and a positive pressure ventilation fan to clear the smoke.
The man was given oxygen therapy at the scene before being taken to hospital by ambulance.
Firefighters from Yate’s Green Watch who helped tackle the blaze recognised the property as one they had attended a year ago to give one of the service’s free home safety fire checks.
Spokesman Darren Bane said: "During that visit, they fitted two smoke alarms in the bungalow and it is believed that it was one of these devices which alerted the man to the danger.
"This incident serves as another reminder of the importance of having at least one smoke alarm on each floor of your property, and of ensuring it is properly maintained.
"Just a few breaths of thick smoke from a fire can render someone unconscious. Properly-working smoke alarms can provide vital extra time by alerting householders early to any danger, and giving them the chance to safely get out of their homes before they are overcome by smoke."
Avon Fire and Rescue Service offers free home fire safety visits to vulnerable people. Call 0117 926 2061 or visit www.avonfire.gov.uk to see if you qualify.