Gloucestershire County Council urges parents to prepare for 'big school'
PARENTS and carers of children making the step up to ‘big school’ next September can now apply for a secondary school place.
Over 6,670 letters have been sent to parents and carers by Gloucestershire County Council, explaining how to apply for a school place.
In addition the council has given important dates for the process of transferring to secondary school.
Open evenings will also be running at all secondary schools and parents must apply for a school place no later than midnight on October 31.
Parents need to use the UID from their child's primary or junior school to register to apply online.
Cllr Paul McLain, cabinet member for children and commissioning, said: "It’s really worth parents visiting the schools and talking to the staff and pupils so they can get a feel for whether their child would be happy and do well there.
"It is also really important for parents to read the admission information carefully for the schools they are considering and to use their preferences wisely. Some parents in the past have been caught out by putting only one preference on their form when there are four preferences available to them."
Application forms as well as information can be found at www.gloucestershire.gov.uk/schooladmissions These are also available from individual schools, libraries or from the admissions and transfers team by calling 01452 425407.
- October 5: Grammar school tests
- October 14: parents receive results of grammar school tests
- October 31: Closing date to return application form for secondary school place.
- October 19 and November 9: fair banding tests for Cleeve School
- March 1, 2014: Parents receive letter informing them of secondary school place.
- March 14, 2014: Closing date to return form accepting school place or request that application is reconsidered.
- After April 1 2014: Receive the outcome of any reconsideration of a school place May to July 2014: Appeals for schools admissions normally held.
Comments are closed on this article.