Couple's Coalpit Heath home suffers extensive damage after kitchen fire
A COUPLE in their sixties escaped a fire at their home in Coalpit Heath unharmed, but many of their possessions have been lost.
The man and woman managed to get out of their bungalow on Station Road safely after a fire broke out in the kitchen.
It happened just after 5pm on Monday (September 16) when two fire crews, from Yate and Kingswood stations, were called to the property.
Avon Fire and Rescue Service spokeswoman Stephanie Mounsey said: “On arrival firefighters found a severe fire in the kitchen at the front of the property.
“Using a Co2 extinguisher, a fire blanket and a high pressure hose reel they extinguished the fire.”
It is believed the blaze was started after a deep fat fryer on a gas hob was left on accidentally.
The couple were unharmed and managed to get out the bungalow safely after their smoke detector was activated. However, as most of the internal doors were left open, the fire spread through the property causing extensive internal damage.
The incident has prompted a warning from the fire service.
“We would remind people to take care when cooking and never leave fire unattended,” said Ms Mounsey.
“Always turn off all appliances after use.
“If you have a fire, close all doors as you leave the property to prevent the spread of the fire.”
Comments are closed on this article.