6:54pm Tuesday 10th December 2013
POLICE in Gloucestershire have made 16 drink-driving arrests during the first week of the annual Christmas crackdown.
Of those arrested between Monday, December 2 and Sunday, December 8, 11 have been charged and are now facing a possible driving ban to start the New Year.
Roads Policing Inspector Kevin Roseblade said: “In spite of the high profile campaign and a heavy presence on the roads we’re still catching offenders and that’s disappointing.
“The dangers of drink-driving and the possible implications for the driver and other road users have been clear for a long time - so there really is no excuse for doing it.
“We’re only a week in but I can assure people we’ve already carried out roadside checks right across the county in the morning, afternoon and evening, so if you think you can get away with it you’re wrong.”
The 11 people charged around the county ranged from 20-years-old to 68 and ten of those were men.
A Gloucestershire Police spokesman said that since reporting began, there had been an almost six-fold reduction in the number of people killed in drink-drive incidents.
Nationally 280 people were killed in drink drive incidents last year - an increase of around 17 per cent on 2011 figures.
Inspr Roseblade added: “We will be keeping up the pressure and conducting regular roadside checks, as well as breath-testing anyone involved in a road traffic collision throughout the festive season.
“Our key message this year is very simple – eat, think and be merry.”
© Copyright 2001-2014 Newsquest Media Group