Three people in Tytherington, South Gloucestershire had lucky escape after a fire broke during the night

Gazette Series: Lucky escape after fire breaks out overnight Lucky escape after fire breaks out overnight

THREE people had a lucky escape after a fire broke out in their home while they were sleeping.

Two crews from Thornbury Fire Station were called to a fire in a property above the Swan Inn pub in Duck Street, Tytherington at 1.47am on Wednesday, February 19 .

Four fire fighters wearing breathing apparatus used a high pressure hose reel to extinguish the fire, which started in the kitchen area. A pressure ventilator to was also used to clear the smoke.

It is believed the fire was started accidently by a tumble dryer.

The fire caused damage to the kitchen and smoke damage to the property.

All three managed to escape due to a smoke alarm which alerted them to the fire. They had safely evacuated the premised before crews arrived.

A spokesman for Avon Fire and Rescue said: “The smoke alarm alerted them during the night to the fire. It sounded giving them the opportunity to escape. It highlights the value of a working smoke alarm.

“I would encourage everyone to get a smoke alarm fitted and to maintain it over the course of time.

“Avon Fire and Rescue can carry out home fire safety visits where crews come to your property to carry out a safety check and if necessary fit a smoke alarm free of charge.”

For more information visit: http://www.avonfire.gov.uk.

click2find

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree