A LATE-NIGHT music event due to take place near Stroud yesterday was cancelled due to the death of one of the workers helping to set up the facilities on site the day before.
The Surround Festival had been due to take place yesterday from 2pm to 4am. The location had been known only to the organisers and those who had bought tickets.
Emergency services were called to Sallywood Farm, Horsley at noon on Friday, following a report of an incident involving a fork-lift truck which had resulted in the death of a 33-year-old man.
It is understood the worker was not employed by the farm and was working at the location in preparation for the event.
A Gloucestershire police spokesman said the man who died had been helping set up the festival and there appeared to have been an accident involving agricultural equipment.
The organisers of the event released the following statement on their website on Friday night.
"It is with great sadness that we have to announce Surround Festival 2014 will be cancelled.
"This morning on site there was a tragic accident and this has resulted in one of the team members we were working alongside passing away.
"The incident involved someone highly experienced in their role, operating equipment they were fully trained to use. It was an exceptionally unfortunate accident.
"Our thoughts are with their friends and family at this difficult time and we are working closely with local authorities.
"We understand that this is deeply disappointing to everybody expecting to come, as it is for us. We fully intend to make refunds to all ticket holders and are working very hard to get our refund procedure in place.
"We hope you understand is there is a delay in responding to communications, it has been a difficult time and we are doing everything we can.
"Full details regarding the refund procedure will be announced as soon as possible.
"Thank you for your patience, Team Surround.
"If you have any urgent enquiries we can be contacted on: email@example.com"
A spokesman for Stroud District Council said that as the incident related to an entertainment event it fell under the council’s jurisdiction to investigate.
“We are also working closely with our counterparts at the Health and Safety Executive, who are providing us with technical input to aid our investigation," the spokesman said.