POLICE are investigating after a fight at an FA Cup match saw Winterbourne United’s captain sent off.

Skipper Aaron Wilson was shown a red card after jumping the barrier to try and diffuse a scuffle between his father, who was watching the match against Hythe and Dibden on Saturday (August 16), and away team committee member Lee Macaecheran.

The two teams have given varying accounts of what happened at the extra preliminary first round FA Cup match, played at Oaklands Park in Almondsbury.

Winterbourne secretary Geoff Endicott admitted the team captain was winding the clock down at the end of the match, with Winterbourne 3-2 in front.

“Aaron Wilson was fouled,” said Mr Endicott. “The way Aaron went down aggravated the away spectators at that end.

“The spectator, supposedly one of the committee members of Hythe and Dibden, made a comment about Wilson’s mother. What that spectator didn’t realise was that Aaron’s father, Tony Wilson, was stood next to him.

“The spectator who made the comment obviously didn’t realise the sensitivity of the comment he made, as Aaron’s mother died when he was seven.”

He added: “It was an isolated incident that is very regrettable.”

Hythe chairman Dave Cox said Mr Macaecheran was enjoying some 'banter' with a Winterbourne player.

He added: “We’ve got no problem with the result, it’s our fault we lost, but this incident marred a good day.

“It was our first ever FA Cup tie and we even got a miniature FA Cup made and engraved to give to Winterbourne, but this has spoiled it.”

Police are now investigating an alleged assault during the match and want to hear from anyone with any information.

A spokesman for Avon and Somerset Constabulary said: “A 37-year-old man from Southampton contacted us on Tuesday, August 19 to report being assaulted while watching a match at Oaklands Park, Almondsbury, at about 4.45pm on Saturday, August 16.

“He told us he suffered cuts, bruises and grazes after the incident.”

Anyone with any information is asked to call 101, quoting reference 85352/14.