FIREFIGHTERS raced to help put out a fire yesterday in a South Gloucestershire home after a grill pan set alight.

Crews from Kingswood and Temple fire stations were called out at 5.47pm to Royal Road in Mangotsfield, where, upon arrival they found the pan to be well alight.

Firefighters worked quickly to remove the pan to open air and used a positive pressure ventilation fan to clear smoke from the house.

A spokeswoman for Avon Fire and Rescue said that more than half of incidents crews are called out to start in the kitchen.

She advised residents to never leave pans or grills unattended, and if you need to leave the kitchen, to turn off the heat or remove the cooking.