A BLAZE tore through a farm near Alveston yesterday afternoon.

Two fire crews were called to the property in Earthcott Green after 1pm and found its occupants, a couple in their 70s, already outside and unharmed.

It is thought the fire started accidentally after debris from a fireplace caught light spreading to a first-floor bedroom through the chimney. Various other rooms were damaged by smoke.

Wearing breathing masks, the firefighters tackled the blaze using a high pressure hose reel and chimney rods.

An Avon Fire & Rescue Service spokesman said: "Avon Fire & Rescue Service would like to remind people to ensure they have their chimneys swept regularly as a build up of debris can catch fire.

"Chimneys using smokeless fuels, oil, gas and bituminous coal should be swept once a year and those burning wood every three months."