FIREFIGHTERS were called out to two kitchen fires in South Gloucestershire yesterday.

Crews from Kingswood and Hicksgate fire stations were called to the first fire, in the Kingswood area, at 4.49pm.

On arrival, firefighters discovered the fire had already been put out and treated a man suffering with small burns.

The second incident saw crews from Kingswood and Yate get called at 10.12pm to a property in Mangotsfield, again to attend to a small kitchen fire in a private house.

Crews used breathing apparatus, a fire blanket and a carbon dioxide extinguisher to put out the flames, before using a positive pressure ventilation fan to clear smoke from the property.

One woman was treated at the scene for smoke inhalation, with ambulance also in attendance.

It is believed both fires were started accidentally.

A spokesman for Avon Fire and Rescue Service reminded residents never to leave a pan or grill unattended when cooking, and if they need to leave the room, make sure the heat has been turned off.