Stroud League Division Two

Dursley Town Res 2 Horsley United 2

A CONTROVERSIAL late penalty robbed Dursley of what would have been only their second league victory of the season as their winless run extended to 13 games.

Looking set for their first three points since August, Town saw victory snatched away when Ricky Swift was harshly penalised and Horsley converted from the spot.

The hosts had made a good start and took a 20th-minute lead when Lee Thomas crossed to the far post and Bruno Goncalves headed the ball past the goalkeeper.

However, the visitors scored a soft equaliser on the hour mark when Pete Dykes appeared to get his angles wrong and an 18-yard shot crept into the corner.

Dursley went back in front 15 minutes from time when Goncalves did well on the right and his low ball across the face of goal was converted by substitute Kyle Ward.

Just when victory looked assured, though, Swift was pulled up for doing no more than out-muscling his opponent in the box and Horsley levelled from the penalty spot.

Dursley: P Dykes; D Clark, R Swift, M Workman; Antony Nash, A Forgione (J Minett 85), L Thomas, L Peters (M Humphrey 80), J Warner; L Crosbee (K Ward 70), B Goncalves.

Goals: Goncalves (20), Ward (75).

Division Five

St Nicholas Old Boys 3 Dursley Town 3rds 1

DURSLEY were left nursing a palpable sense of injustice after their hopes of spoiling St Nicholas’ 100 per cent league record were ended in controversial circumstances.

Town had an opening goal disallowed with the game goalless on the hour mark and then saw fortune favour the home side as they took their 12th victory in 12 games.

Beaten 11-0 by the same opponents last month, the visitors bolstered their ranks with four first-team players, whose scheduled match at Star had been postponed.

St Nicholas dominated the game from the first whistle, but were unable to break their stubborn opponents down and were hit on the counter-attack on the hour mark.

Curtis Mills stole in between defender and goalkeeper to lob the ball into the net, but the offside flag was raised, his effort was disallowed and the hosts scored instead.

Dursley conceded a free-kick out of frustration and, when Keith Watson could only parry after Rob Lyon deflected the ball towards hit own goal, the home side pounced.

However, the visitors responded quickly and in style when Ash Pearce met Jake Dolbear’s shot-cum-cross with a diving header that looped over the goalkeeper.

St Nicholas continued to get the rub of the green, though, a soft free-kick leading to a well-taken second goal before the hosts were able to add an offside-looking third.

Dursley: K Watson; D Minett, D French, N Hart, J Stevenson; L Jones (J Aldridge 88), R Lyon, M Sims, A Pearce, J Dolbear (T Clark 80); C Mills. Not Used: R Cox.

Goals: Pearce (65).