Gloucestershire Northern Senior League Division Two

Wotton Rovers 3 Soudley 1

WOTTON Rovers recovered from a goal down to beat Soudley and move further away from the dreaded drop zone in wet and windy conditions at Synwell.

Soudley went down the infamous Synwell slope first and Rovers had to dig deep to try to gain a foothold in the match.

The visiting side stood on the verge of a famous result after an early goal in a game that would see them restricted to a couple of chances.

Wotton picked themselves up and started 80 minutes of attacking football, led by Nick Bird and Andy Shepherd from the front, supported by Simon Graham and Alex Lumsden in midfield.

The first half was a frustrating one for the home team as the visiting keeper kept the net empty following a barrage of attacks.

Tom Frith and Robbie Richards on the wings added more threatening play but could not find a way past the Soudley goalkeeper, who earned his side a lead in the first half.

The second half started as the first finished with Rovers dominating.

However, it was a case of cometh the hour cometh the man when just past the hour mark, Shepherd rose highest and powered the ball home to draw level following a superb delivery from Bird.

Wotton continued to press and introduced new signing Cameron Pring along with Clifford Hopkins.

This change raised Wotton's energy and more opportunities arose.

It was Shepherd who put the home team ahead as he slotted home past the onrushing keeper.

Wotton's control of the game increased as the opportunities kept coming but the score line remained the same.

The game was put further out of reach of Soudley when Bird's long range effort sailed past all and nestled in the bottom corner of the net to rapturous applause from the crowd.

Wotton finished the game on the front foot and Pring could have made it four as he snaked through the defence but he ran out of room on the touchline and his shot was well saved.

Rovers boss Liam Comer said: 'We were excellent and are slightly disappointed that we only managed to score three."