ROVERS continued their promising form on Saturday by beating Plymouth Argyle 2-1, extending their unbeaten run to six games.

John Ward kept faith with the team that had won a hard-fought away point against Northampton for the visit of the Pilgrims. In blustery conditions, Rovers started on the front foot and their early pressure was soon rewarded when Chris Beardsley stooped to head in a flick on from a Michael Smith throw in the seventh minute.

Rovers were largely in the ascendancy for most of the opening period, only to go into the break all square when Neil Trotman scored from close range after Mildenhall spilled a free kick.

After a cagey opening to the second half, Ward introduced fit-again Matt Harrold who offered us another option up front. Sure enough, the Gas built up a head of steam with the breakthrough coming in the 78th minute. Kaid Mohamed scored at the far post from a searching cross delivered by the excellent Lee Brown to send the majority of the 7,799 crowd delirious.

Mildenhall then atoned for his earlier error by pulling off a fantastic reaction save to deny Morgan’s goal bound header.

The result meant that the Gas climbed to the dizzy heights of 14th and the dreaded ‘P’ word started to be mentioned. I understand the excitement that an unbeaten run can generate, but my own concerns are that we ensure our safety in the Football League before any thoughts of promotion are even considered.

And so it transpired on Tuesday night against Dagenham and Redbridge. A promising start against the Daggers, with leading scorer O’Toole giving us a seventh minute lead, ended up being a meek surrender as the visitors took all three points in a 2-1 reverse.

We looked decent in an evenly contested first half, but goals from the impressive Adebayo Azeez either side of the break put paid to our unbeaten run. Disappointingly, we seemed to run out of ideas in the final 20 minutes so John Ward will have work to do on the training pitch before our trip to Hartlepool on Saturday.