Gloucestershire County League

Frampton United 1 Thornbury Town 2

THORNBURY Town secured their third successive win on Saturday at high-flying Frampton United.

Thorns started the game at a high tempo and took an early lead when Steve Thompson’s corner saw Nathan Sage time his run to perfection to head home in the fourth minute.

Town almost doubled their lead when Nathan Irwin latched onto Alex Lippiatt’s long goal kick and his cross into the penalty area saw a United defender deflect the ball against his own bar.

On a bumpy pitch, both sides had difficulty controlling the ball but it was Thorns who always looked in control.

Steve Thompson’s speculative effort from out wide on the right looked to be heading for the far corner of the net but Frampton goalkeeper Scott Gearon managed to push it round post for a corner.

With ten minutes to go before the break Gearon pulled off another good save, pushing Sage's header onto the bar.

In the very next minute, however, Thorns doubled their lead when Steve Thompson’s corner from the left was bundled home at the near post by Irwin.

Sage almost scored again from a header but Gearon spread himself well to save.

Moments later Frampton created their best chance of the half when Chris Fower's cross from the right was knocked back across the face of the goal but the unmarked Kris Bulley steered his shot wide of the post.

Frampton enjoyed a lot more possession in the second half with the wind behind them but they created few clear-cut chances.

However, in the 57th minute they pulled a goal back. Matt Cook’s inswinging corner deceived everyone and went straight into the net at the far post.

This gave the home side the incentive and they pushed forward in search of the equaliser but with Pete Fowler and Ricky Lippiatt standing firm at the centre of the defence, Frampton struggled to get any shots on target.

Thorns came back into the game the final 15 minutes and a Joe Guest run down the right was brought to an abrupt end with a reckless challenge from Bulley, who was shown a straight red card, which virtually killed the game.

The win saw Thorns move a couple of places up the table and they will be looking to continue their winning run when they entertain Chipping Sodbury Town at the Mundys on Saturday, 3pm.