DURSLEY remain rooted in the bottom two with just two games remaining after being beaten by fellow strugglers St Mary’s Old Boys.

The hosts made a strong start with an unconverted try after just two minutes and added a further score ten minutes later to extend their lead to 10-0.

Midway through the first half Dursley made their first score from a quick tap penalty on the five metre line with a touch down by flanker Harry Lea to narrow the gap to 10-5 but the conversion attempt by fly half Grant Boucher slipped wide after being held up in the high wind.

From the restart, St Mary’s continued to pound the Dursley defence and a certain scoring opportunity was stopped after a cover tackle by full back Tom Broomfield.

Dursley set up some strong defence to stop several drives for the line by St Mary’s but were eventually caught out by a looping pass for St Mary’s to score a converted try and extend their lead 17-5.

With ten minutes left to play in the half St Mary’s added another converted try, taking the score to 24-5.

St Mary’s added another converted try, further increasing the deficit.

Never a team to let their heads drop, Dursley captain Scott Udal and No 8 Tom Stevens made some hard yards and then with a set move from a scrum 30 metres out Boucher fed Broomfield on a lovely line to score. Boucher was unable to add the extra points, leaving the half-time score 31-10.

Dursley started the second half with gusto and second row Tony Niblett did some excellent work on the floor followed by a strong break by James Hugginson.

Good phases by the forward pack of Udal, Simon Camm, Paul Winterbottom, Sam Porter, Rich Brooks and Niblett was followed by a chip over the top by Boucher for winger Danny Brooks to win the sprint for the ball to score.

Boucher added the extra two points with a difficult kick from the touchline, closing the gap to 31-17.

Midway through the half St Mary’s were awarded an easy penalty opportunity 15 metres out and in front of the posts for not rolling away to make it 34-17.

Aaron Lennard came on and quickly made an impression with a jinking run inside the St Mary’s ten metre line to set Boucher up for a score and conversion, closing the gap to 34-24.

Dursley worked hard in defence to hold up two try attempts from St Mary’s and eventually lost out to a penalty.

In the dying minutes flanker Ollie Steel was held up inches short of the try line and St Mary’s added a further converted try from the break.