GFA Junior Cup Final

Real Thornbury 3 Ashley FC 1

REAL Thornbury completed a league and cup double for the third year in a row after beating Ashley at GFA headquarters on Monday night.

Just four days after Thornbury clinched the Bristol & District League Division Two title, two Sam Taylor goals in the last 15 minutes of this final ensured they could add another trophy to their fast-growing collection.

Thornbury applied pressure for the first ten minutes but Ashley then settled and started to dominate.

In the 24th minute, Ashley broke through and an attacker was brought down by Real keeper Rowan Cartlidge.

A penalty was awarded and Cartlidge escaped with just a yellow card.

Dan Scoins then scored from the spot to give Ashley a lead they held until half-time.

Thornbury brought on Adam Bruton to add height in midfield and Mourad Sanouci on the right wing.

From then on Thornbury began to take charge and in the 46th minute Dan Lever, running in from the left, passed to Mike Barton, who equalised.

Thornbury were now applying the pressure and in the 75th minute Sam Taylor was brought down just inside the Ashley area for a penalty and picked himself up to convert the spot kick himself.

Real had their tails up. Taylor broke through a sandwich of two Ashley players and let fly from the D on the edge of the area to blast the ball into the net for number three.

* Last Thursday, Real Thornbury won 3-0 at Frampton Athletic Reserves to secure the league title.

Sam Taylor, Ross Griffin, and Mourad Senouci scored the goals with Rowan Cartlidge putting in a man of the match performance.

With the division won, Thornbury gave a chance for their fringe players to once again show their skills in their 5-0 win at Greyfriars Athletic Reserves on Saturday.

It took 16 minutes for Thornbury to open the scoring when a pass through from Joe Hulbert found Mike Barton to finish.

Nine minutes later Barton scored again after receiving a cross from Adam Pegler out wide on the right.

Just before half-time skipper Frank Hook headed home a corner delivered by Dan Lever.

In the 46th minute, man of the match Pegler found himself one-on-one with the Greyfriars keeper and rounded him to tap in.

In the 55th minute Lever made a cross-pitch pass hit a Greyfriars defender, which deflected the ball over his keeper to bounce into the back of the net.