LUKE Hedger endured a nightmare weekend at Oulton Park in the second round of the British Supersport Championship.

The 18-year-old from Yate was unable to make up for his last-lap crash at Brands Hatch as he suffered with mechanical problems on his favourite circuit and retired in both races.

Hedger said: "I'm utterly gutted how the weekend has gone. I was really looking forward to Oulton, I love the circuit and have had a lot of good results there but this weekend was not to be.

"I cannot fault my mechanics who worked so hard to try and sort out the problem we were having.

"I did my best and so did they. I have a few weeks off now before my next race meeting so hopefully it will give the team time to work out what went wrong."

In the very first session on Saturday morning, Hedger didn't even manage to finish the first lap because of a massive electrical fault and had to sit out of the whole of this session.

His Gearlink Kawasaki team worked tirelessly to work out what was wrong and just about managed to get the bike ready for the next practice session later on that afternoon.

The next two sessions went a lot better for Hedger as he managed to complete both session without any problems.

By this time he was at a big disadvantage but still put in some good times, finishing up in 15th place after the second practice session and managing to qualify 11th for the first race.

Hedger stared off really well and after a few laps he had managed to get by some of the other racers, moving himself up to sixth place.

On lap eight of the 12 lap race the electrical fault came back, and although he managed to nursed his stricken machine around for a couple more laps he was dropping further down the field.

Not wanting to cause any more damage to the bike, he made the decision to retire on lap 10.

The mechanics worked on Sunday night to sort the bike ready for the second race on Monday.

Things where looking good on Monday morning when Hedger took his bike out for the eight minute warm-up session as he put in the sixth fastest time.

He had put in the ninth fastest lap time in race one before his bike failed on him so he started race two from the third row.

Every thing was looking good as he passed a couple of racers, but on lap nine of 16, the bike would not go into gear and he went wide, going into one of the corners.

Hedger managed to get it back into gear but it happened again. He carried on limping the bike around, but was dropping further and further back and on lap 13 he had to retire again.