Football: Frampton fail to pull off another shock in final



First published in Sport

Bristol Premier Combination League Cup Final

Highridge United 5 Frampton Athletic 0

HIGHRIDGE United secured their first Premier Combination League Cup trophy since 1998, as a strong second-half display over Division One Frampton Athletic at the Cribbs Friends Life Sports Ground earned them their third trophy in as many years.

Frampton went into the game quietly confident of pulling off a surprise having beaten Premier Division duo Old Sodbury and Shaftesbury Crusade in the previous two rounds.

The first half had been one of promise for Frampton, with the South Gloucestershire outfit the better side for long periods.

However, they failed to put away their best chance and goals from the excellent Harry Hocking and Dan Elsom shortly after half-time paved the way for a commanding second-half display from Highridge.

The combination of Liam Barrett’s strength and hold-up play with George Pike’s pace created problems for the Highridge backline.

A miscommunication between right-back Edward Cockle and goalkeeper Richard Jenkins after 15 minutes allowed Barrett to play the ball round Jenkins before Cockle recovered well to block his goalbound shot.

Moments before half-time, Frampton almost took advantage of their superiority. Good work down the right from Mike Beake allowed Pike to pull back for strike-partner Barrett, who seemed certain to score – only for a magnificent goal-line clearance from Cockle.

In the 47th minute of the second-half Highridge’s Hocking opened the scoring with a 25-yard strike that hit the bar and post on its way in.

Elsom fired Highridge 2-0 up after good hold-up play from Nathan Rendall.

After 67 minutes, Elsom and Rendall once again combined down the left wing but this time the roles were reversed as Elsom bullied his way through the defence and crossed for Rendall to finish from six yards out.

Frampton continued to work hard and push forward, almost grabbing a consolation through centre-back Barney Yates after an excellent cross from substitute Mark Totterdell.

Highridge added the fourth through substitute Grant Taylor and stoppage time saw centre-back Joe Parsons get himself on the scoresheet with a simple header from a fine corner delivered by young substitute Lewis Dunn, leaving Highridge to celebrate a resounding win.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree