THORNBURY came back from the dead to beat Cheltenham by one wicket thanks to a magnificent unbeaten century from captain Richard Trotman in a dramatic WEPL Premier Two encounter.

Trotman won the toss and stuck Cheltenham in to bat.

The visitors' innings started with early wickets.

Trotman opened the bowling from the Ship end and was shaping it a mile, picking up the first three wickets.

Summerfield, bowling from BVM end, made a vital breakthrough with a caught and bowled sending Kieran Smith (76) back to the pavilion.

With Sayeem Waliullah bowling at the other end with pace being taking off the ball, Cheltenham were in trouble.

Both spinners reduced the run rate dramatically as Summerfield and Sayeem ended up with three wickets each and Cheltenham all out in the 42nd over for 168.

The Thornbury innings didn’t start off too well as Chris Budd, Marc Lezar, Dan Lezar, Dan Davies, Nick Stovold, Luke Davies and Graham McCarter were all back in the changing room within the blink of an eye.

Tea was taken after 13 overs at which point Thornbury were 35-7.

Trotman and Tom Bradley managed to see off opening bowler Elliot Wilson, who had taken all seven wickets.

With Cheltenham going for spin, Trotman started swinging.

Eventually Bradley was out and this brought Summerfield to the crease.

The innings started to take shape, with plenty of Trotman strike being orchestrated.

Summerfield started to hit boundaries but was eventually dismissed lbw for 22 after a 63-run stand and Thornbury still needed 40 runs.

However, with sixes coming off the skipper's bat in nearly every over and Sayeem blocking, the total was reached with Trotman ending up on 101.

Thorbury seconds won at Cheltenham in the corresponding fixture to stay top of the Premier Two 2nd XI.

They managed to achieve a massive 321-9 and the main scorers were Paul Holder (71), Juvaunie Gayle (76) and James Tunnicliffe (52).

Cheltenham finished short on 270-6 with Tunnicliffe picking up four wickets.

Bristol & District League Seventh Division leaders Thornbury thirds beat Frys by six wickets at Tockington Manor.

Jon Oakey took on the captaincy again and stuck Frys in.

Frys ended up with only 80 runs, with Stu McWhinnie picking up four wickets and Derek Davies also taking four.

The runs came from McWhinnie, who opened the batting as well and finished on 33, with Mark Stutter scoring 30.