THORNBURY Town Under-18s travelled to Wotton Rovers on Sunday knowing a victory would send them to the summit of the Bristol Under-18 North Division League and after a strong team performance they cam away with all three points and top spot secured.

The visitors started the match playing down the slope and were soon using the slope to good advantage with Dan O'Connoron the left and Mike Tanner on the right causing the home team all sorts of trouble.

Thorns took and early lead when Charlie Exell in the centre of midfield played a great through ball for striker Felix Brittan to run onto who held of Wotton’s centre back to slot the ball under the advancing keeper. Wotton responded well and a good save by Ryan Tyler in goal for the visitors kept their lead intact.

Wotton were dealt a double blow when two of their players had to come off after picking up injuries. The visitors to their credit were creating chances but were squandering them.

However Thorns did extended their lead when Striker Denym Di Mauro was played in on goal and he rounded the keeper to slot the ball home into the empty net. Thorns nearly grabbed a third goal when captain Sam Downes narrowly headed over from a corner kick.

Thorns then lost their composure for the last 15 minutes of the first half as they became sloppy in their possession and were great full to reach halftime.

Thornbury made two half-time substitutions and were now playing up the slope on a pitch that was now cutting up badly.

It was a Wotton who applied the early pressure at the start of the second half and they nearly pulled a goal back but a mad goalmouth scramble by the home defence somehow kept the ball out.

Wotton then pulled a goal back after sloppy play at the back saw Wotton's striker beat the offside trap and cause confusion in the Thorns defence and the resulting cross from Wotton's right winger looped over Tyler in goal and went in off the post.

Thornbury response was immediate as the went straight on the attack from the restart and a cross from the right was turned in by Di Mauro who grabbed his second goal of the game.

Wotton were still a danger as they used the advantage of the sloping pitch but the Thorns defence held firm. Thornbury were then awarded a penalty after a great flowing move saw Dan O'Connor burst into the box and the home defender tripped him up.

O'Connor took the resulting spot kick and he converted confidently to make it 4-1 to the visitors.

Thornbury then grabbed a fifth goal after Di Mauro burst clear and just as it looked like he was going to grab his hat-trick, he squared the ball unselfishly to O'Connor who grabbed his second of the match.

A good team performance that saw Thornbury climb to first place in the league.