Bristol Combination League

Tormarton 1 Thornbury Town U18s 3

THORNBURY Town Under-18s moved into second place in the Bristol Combination league whilst keeping their unbeaten record after a 3-1 away win at Tormarton.

On a sunny cold afternoon, Thornbury started the match strongly but struggled to play their passing game on a terrible playing surface, this did not stop them from trying.

The visitors dominated the opening exchanges and went close to taking the lead on several occasions the best chance falling to Tom Cornock who went close with an overhead scissors kick that went just wide of the left hand post.

Thornbury deservingly took the lead when a cross from the left found Mike Tanner in the box his tame header on goal seemed to be a straight forward save for the keeper but some how he failed to stop the ball and Thorns found themselves 1-0 at the break.

The second-half started with Thornbury again dominating possession and territory and they soon made that count Ollie Thorne chased down the home defender and dispossessed him he then fed Charlie Exell who stayed composed under pressure to slot the ball home.

Tormarton to their credit got back in the game after a big slice of luck went their way when a long ball over the top ended up with their striker who was at least ten yards offside after the previous attack but this was somehow misssed by the linesman and referee and the Tormarton striker took his chance well.

Thornbury were determined to not let this injustice upset them and they were soon on the attack and regained the lead when Ollie Thorne used his pace to good effect to beat defenders and round the home keeper to make it 3-1 to the visitors.

Thornbury then had a chance to extend their lead further when Thorne again broke clear and as he again rounded the keeper the keeper pulled him down in side the box to concede the penalty! Somehow the referee only decided to talk the keeper and not issue any card of any colour.

From the resulting kick the keeper made a fine save to keep the score at 3-1. As the game entered the last 10 minutes Thornbury began to run out of steam and struggled to get out of their own half the effects of playing on such a terrible pitch but their never give up attitude saw them hold on for the three points.