West Women’s Hockey League

Berkeley Division One

Dursley 0 Wotton 4

WOTTON put the wheels back on for this derby and came away with a clutch of gratifying goals and a few near misses.

Dursley were by no means out of the game and produced some elegant passing attacks that streamed through the Wotton defence, but were unable to convert their position into goals.

Jasmin George, with assistance from Sharron Bates, opened the scoring in the first half and Bates herself extended the lead from open play early in the second. Wotton then dominated the half and won eight penalty corners, converting two.

Leila Gray made the first from a deceptive move that outfoxed the defence and George the second with an uncomplicated stop and strike.

This was a welcome return to winning ways for Wotton and has settled some nerves after a relatively unsuccessful New Year.

Anna Patteson, who was unlucky not to score on a couple of occasions, and Emma Chalmers were in excellent form and both Beccy Chalmers and Eilidh Rogers impressed with several penetrating runs out of defence.

Davis Wood Hockey League

Marches Division Two

Lansdown 4ths 2 Wotton-under-Edge 3rds 2

WOTTON were justifiably disappointed not to come away with all three points from a game that they dominated almost throughout.

After an early flurry from the hosts woke them up, the Blues ensured virtually no play in their D for the remainder of the match and were soon ahead through a brilliantly taken Chris Price solo effort.

Sloppy marking allowed Lansdown to equalise with a free shot from the top of the D midway through the half, after which Wotton piled on the pressure but contrived some spectacular misses from close range and a failure to come anywhere near to converting several penalty corners.

If anything the Blues had even more possession in the second half thanks to yet greater efforts from the midfield of Price, Ben Eames, Callum Niddrie and Pat Carr.

Roy Hewish was rewarded for a brave and hard working game up front when he scored at the far post from Price’s cross and there seemed no way back for Lansdown.

However, a few minutes from the end, their only visit to the Wotton D in the second half controversially led to a penalty corner, their only one in the match, from which a wild mis-hit ballooned off a defender’s stick over keeper Jeremy Hull’s head and just under the cross bar.