Bristol City fans' panel: Reaction to the 2-0 defeat at home to Derby
CITY’S poor home form continued on Saturday with a disappointing 2-0 defeat to Nigel Clough’s Derby County.
In truth, City were second best to the visitors in all departments. Once again there seemed to be a lack of fight from our players, something that is concerning when the club is embroiled in a relegation battle.
Both of Derby’s first half strikes were scored with ease as City failed to close down men on the edge of the penalty area or pick up attacking players inside it. McInnes has tried countless defensive combinations so far this season but it seems no matter who the personnel are, the only common factor is that we keep on conceding.
McInnes’ ‘approval rating’ seems to be on the decline. A recent supporters poll on the internet showed approximately 55 per cent would keep him in charge, whilst the other 45 per cent would give him the sack. Personally, I hope the board are weighing up their options as we go into the busy festive period and January transfer window beyond. McInnes seems out of his depth to me and the board need to decide if they have faith in allowing him to recruit more players in January or to get an experienced head in who knows the Championship well.
We have three big games before the window reopens, Ipswich away on Saturday, followed by Watford and Peterborough at home. Failure to win any of those games (two of which are against fellow strugglers Ipswich and Peterborough) and surely time has run out for McInnes.
I see our situation as not too dissimilar to rivals Bristol Rovers, who have just got shot of another Scotsman Mark McGhee who promised so much but ultimately didn’t deliver. Their new manager John Ward will have the January transfer window to strengthen. The City board really do need to bear in mind the importance of the January window. It’s now or never for Derek McInnes.
Do you agree with Will’s views? Have your say below.
Comments are closed on this article.