Football: Cattle hat-trick puts Chipping Sodbury in seventh heaven

Gloucestershire County League

Chipping Sodbury Town 7 Hanham Athletic 1

CHIPPING Sodbury Town hit the jackpot in their home fixture with Hanham Athletic with a resounding win.

The home side were bolstered by the return of five missing players from the previous week's fixture at Patchway Town and it certainly made the difference.

The star man was Justin Cattle, who chipped in with his first hat-trick of the season.

Cattle opened the scoring on five minutes and then set up James Mackie to net the second on 16 minutes. On 34 minutes, Cattle scored a second to give the home side a comfortable 3-0 lead at the break.

Dan Bendall’s pass put Mackie through to make it 4-0 in the 50th minute.

A superb free kick from Ollie Clark made it number five.

Hanham pulled a goal back in the 74th minute with a strike from Bill Hodge but within a minute Sodbury scored again when James Mackie set up Danny Coombes for number six.

Cattle rounded it all off with his third of the afternoon in the 87th minute.

• Chipping Sodbury have been disqualified from the Les James League Cup after they fielded an ineligible player in their game at home to Ellwood, who have been re-instated and handed a home semi-final tie against Longlevens or Kings Stanley.

Thornbury Town 3 Bishop’s Cleeve Reserves 1

THORNBURY Town gave themselves a lift after two defeats on the trot with victory at home to Bishop's Cleeve Reserves.

The home side took a three-goal lead in this fixture with the first of the goals coming after 28 minutes from the penalty spot, fired home by Tom Webb.

Steve Thompson scored a second on 44 minutes, the striker taking the ball past the defender before planting his shot in the corner of the net.

Town keeper Mark Garbacz kept the home side in the game with a great double save in the 48th minute. The visitors' keeper Dan Greenhouse also brought off a magnificent double save to deny Dan Thompson and then Toby Bennett in the 57th minute.

Thornbury made it 3-0 on 70 minutes with a header from Toby Bennett, but a minute later Tim Arnold's terrific shot from the edge of the box pulled a goal back for Cleeve.

Bristol Telephones 0 Yate Town Reserves 3

YATE Town Reserves gained a good victory at Bristol Telephones.

The three goals were spread out with the first coming in the 40th minute, a left foot drive from the edge of the box from Dan Clement.

Ryan Nicholls headed the second on the hour and a breakaway in the 85th minute saw Sam Gilchrist net number three.


Comments are closed on this article.


Get Adobe Flash player
About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree