Evo-Stik Southern League West

Yate Town 1 Mangotsfield United 1

YATE Town came from behind to secure a precious Evo-Stik Southern League West point in their derby with Mangotsfield United at the Universial Components Stadium on a baking hot Bank Holiday Monday.

The Bluebells are yet to secure a victory in either the league or cup this season but, in a good contest, they did well in both defence and midfield to set-up chances for the frontmen.

There were early chances at both ends as Yate escaped with a goal kick from a Mangotsfield strike from near the penalty area.

But it was the visitors who were nearly made to pay on ten minutes when a 25 yard rifle shot from Ben Brooks thumped against an upright and bounced towards the corner flag.

The Bluebells pressed again as they looked for the opening goal that would put them on the road towards a first competitive win of the season.

However, it was Mangotsfield who took the lead on 18 minutes when they had possession on the edge of the home penalty area, central to the net.

John Elliott fired a rasping shot on target that home keeper Harvey Rivers could only parry. And as the keeper lay on the ground helpless, Mike Bryant followed up to pop the ball over his head and into an empty net.

It could quickly have been 2-0 when a Jordan Williams shot was parried by Rivers but this time the follow-up failed to get a clean strike on the ball just a yard from the net.

Credit to Yate's effort at the other end. They tried hard, mostly down the right flank, but found the visitor's defence reasonably good.

Mangotsfield had another effor when Lewis Elllington put in a cross-cum-shot and saw it streak narrowly wide of the far post.

But, after Yate skipper Charlie Hitchings picked up a booking for a silly tackle, the Bluebells had two chances to level.

Both came from sweet crosses by full-back Mitch Tippins and both were sent into the danger area on the far post from the right.

First, big Trey Anderson challenged Mangotfield's captain and former Bristol City and Bristol Rovers keeper Steve Phillips but the ref called for a foul.

Then Tippins sent in a wicked cross where left-back Mike Baker got a clean header to it from five yards only to miss the target.

But they were encouraging signs for the Bluebells and the third quarter of the game amid the blistering sun saw them take the initative.

Some excellent play from Chris Gregan on the left wing saw him fire in a tremendous cross to the foot of Eugene Keary which was drilled with pace but wide of Phillips' net.

And after Tippins found his way into the referee's book for a sloppy tackle, Tom Harrison produced a wonderful moment of magic as Mangotsfield's Steve Davies was lining up to fire on the edge of the Yate box only to see the home midfielder take the ball off his foot and saunter upfield to create an attack that ended with him taking a well-deserved attempt at goal.

Finally, Yate were rewarded as a shot was fired in from the edge of the Mangotsfield box for Phillips to fumble and Brooks to plant into the net for the equaliser.

Mangotsfield's Ed Weeks was booked for a poor challenge.

Visiting sub Nick Pearce fired from distance over the bar, while the Yate defence had to be alert when a free kick blasted towards their far post and out of danger.

Young sub Matty Tanner showed some nice touches as the game entered the final moments and, despite having a few corners, Mangotsfield's defence headed them clear time and again.

And that was how it stayed to the end with a point picked up better than three dropped.