The manager of a pub has warned that ‘violence will not be tolerated’ after a man was left with a facial wound on New Year’s Eve.

On January 1, a man was assaulted at the Portcullis Hotel in Chipping Sodbury High Street at around 12:20am.

Avon and Somerset Police made an appeal to the public after the incident took place, but now the manager of the up and coming pub has taken the time to reassure customers that it is not a regular occurrence.

“It is really disappointing that it has happened, especially when we have been working so hard to make a lot of changes here,” Sam Walker, the General Manager said.

“We take great pride in what we do here and we have really changed the image of the pub over the last year.

“It actually is a community pub, we get a lot of families coming in and it is definitely not the sort of place where this kind of thing happens.”

“This is actually the first time that this has happened since we have re-opened.”

The Portcullis Pub originally closed in late 2013, but the owners of the adjacent pub, The Royal Oak, decided to buy the building before re-launching it in August 2017.

Since then it has regained its place as a key part of the high street.

“We just want to reassure people that it isn’t something we will accept,” Mr Walker continued.

“There is a lot of exciting things happening here, we have a new Caribbean restaurant coming in before the end of February and are currently refurbishing the rooms upstairs, so there is a lot of other stuff for us to be talking about.”

The pub has two or three members of staff on security on a night with a number of events taking place throughout the week.

Mr Walker’s comments came after a post on the pub’s Facebook page, something which was done to warn anybody that a repeat of the New Year’s Eve event would not be tolerated.

“Due to the violent actions of a now uninvited guest at our establishment, we would like to inform everyone who enters our property we do not accept any sort of violence whether that is inside or outside of our building,” the post said.

“Anyone who is involved in any troublesome acts will be given a suited punishment.

“Since we took over The Portcullis Hotel it has been calmer then it was before we came into management, we would like it to stay this way and we thank everyone who has been sticking to our guidelines.

“Anyone with any information on the incident on New Year’s Eve at approximately 00:20 we would like to hear anything you know about the incident, feel free to come and talk to us at The Portcullis Hotel or The Royal Oak.”

Avon and Somerset Police made an appeal stating that in a ‘full pub’ someone may know something about the incident, also revealing that a 26-year-old man had been arrested and released under investigation.

“The victim who was assaulted required medical treatment for a face injury.

“We believe the pub was full at the time of the incident and a number of people may have witnessed the incident.

“We’re keen to hear from anyone is able to help, call 101, quoting 5219000006.”