Avon Fire and Rescue Service have revealed the cause of a fire that tore through a car near Lidl in Yate on Saturday.

At around 1:40pm on May 4, a Ford Mondeo pulled up on the side of the road near to the entrance to Lidl next to Yate Shopping Centre.

Within seconds of the driver getting out of the car it burst in to flames.

Witnesses said they heard loud bangs and huge flames coming from the boot of the car, but did not know what had caused the fire or where it had started.

Fire crews arrived and had the fire under control within minutes.

Now though, the cause of the fire has been revealed: "We were called at 13:36hrs on May 4 to a car on fire on Kennedy Way in Yate.

"One crew from Yate fire station attended and wearing breathing apparatus as safety wear, used two high pressure hose reels to extinguish the fire.

"The cause of the fire is thought to be accidental ignition due to a faulty heated seat."