A family were rescued from a house fire in Olveston in the early hours of the morning after a blaze broke out in a utility cupboard.

The family were alerted to the fire after their smoke alarm was activated and called the fire service.

Crews from Thornbury Fire Station were dispatched and upon arrival at the scene they found people were still in the building.

Another crew was then called and two firefighters wearing breathing apparatus extinguished the fire using a high pressure hose reel.

The service confirmed that all people were brought out from the building and are safe and well.