Yate firefighters were called to a chemical spill at a supermarket last night.

Iceland supermarket in Emersons Green was evacuated and a woman rushed to hospital after a suspected chemical leak from a freezer.

Emergency services rushed to the store at around 8pm on Monday following reports of a toxic spill.

Customers were told to leave the premises while the drama unfolded.

A spokesman for Avon Fire and Rescue Service said: "Crews from Kingswood, Patchway and Yate were mobilised to reports of a chemical spill.

"On arrival two firefighters used breathing apparatus and gas monitoring system to check the building.

"Once deemed safe they handed the building back to the responsibility of the owners. One female casualty was conveyed to hospital by ambulance."

Speaking at the time, one eyewitness said: "Huge police, fire and rescue and ambulance presence. Seems pretty serious around there."