A group from Yate and Chipping Sodbury were caught up in a fire that spread through a hotel in Eastbourne on Friday.

Twenty-four members of Yate and Chipping Sodbury U3A had been enjoying breakfast as part of a 'Turkey and Tinsel' break in when a fire broke out at the Claremont Hotel.

A spokesperson for the group said: "Thankfully there was no loss of life and all of the members were evacuated from the hotel.

"There were no injuries, but obviously they are shocked and somewhat distressed."

Flames were spotted at about 8.50am, and at its height 12 fire engines were sent to the scene, pumping water from the sea in a bid to control the inferno.

The fire, which started in the hotel basement, was finally extinguished on Monday.