Hellenic League Division One West

Thornbury Town 3-3 Newent Town

Despite taking the lead in the 90th minute Thornbury were forced to settle for a draw after a thrilling match against Newent Town at the Mundy’s on Tuesday.

Harry Brock joined the growing list of players out injured last week and Mackenzie Welsh was a late replacement for Kurtis Parkin in goal.

The first quarter was fairly quiet but it was clear Newent are a much improved team from last season and after Welsh had dealt with a chance well minutes earlier, on 20 minutes Newent opened the scoring with a well finished goal after a couple of good passes.

Luke Franklin went off injured on 22 minutes to be replaced by Harry Walton with no change to the 3-5-2 formation.

A string of corners finally resulted in the equaliser when a short corner eventually found Elliot Gardner who found the net in the last minute of the half.

One-one at the break.

On the hour mark an excellent James Derosa run down the right saw his pull back dummied by Tom Webb and Brandon Benjamin fired home for the lead.

The game then started to get a little ill tempered with two Newent players going in the referee’s book along with Jacob Farthing.

Gazette Series:

With fifteen left a Newent corner was floated into the box and the next thing heard was the referee’s whistle – no appeals from either side – and he pointed to the penalty spot to the surprise of everyone in the ground. The penalty was well taken and the scores were level again.

In time added on for stoppages a Marcus Wormwell short throw saw the ball delivered into the area where a brave challenge from Derosa was saved and broke to Benjamin who finished with a diving header.

Thornbury should have perhaps managed the remainder of the game better but with the last kick of the game Newent equalised from a well struck direct free-kick.

Thornbury remain unbeaten this season but will rue more dropped points at home in the league.

Man of the Match was James Derosa.

Gazette Series:

Thornbury’s next games are at home this Saturday to Abingdon United in the FA Vase and Wellington in the league cup on Tuesday.