Hellenic League Division One West

Thornbury Town 3-1 Shortwood United

Thornbury are up to second in the league after a third consecutive victory. 

The injury list is now a bit shorter with Mark Viner & Luke Franklin on the bench but Harry Brock was out with a tight hamstring.

With ‘keeper Kurtis Parkin unavailable and dual registered Mackenzie Welsh away with Bath City, Al Lippiatt was between the posts.

This was the first game with the new 100-capacity stand (although reduced due to Covid-19 restrictions) and was definitely required as the heavens opened on kick-off.

After a good display in midweek Nathan Sage stayed as the holding midfielder allowing Brandon Benjamin and Jacob Fielding to get forward.

Thornbury created some early chances but failed to hit the target

Craig Lancastle picked up a yellow card after ten minutes for a high challenge although it may have had something to do with the conditions as did the fact that the first half an hour was mostly played in the Shortwood half but the pass completion rate wasn’t high.

As the first half drew to a close and with the home dugout requesting a higher tempo, Marcus Wormwell received the ball and after beating his man drilled the ball inside the far post.

One-nil at the break – Thornbury just about worth their lead but far from convincing.

Thornbury started the second half the stronger and Lancastle forced a good save from the ‘keeper and Elliott Gardner couldn’t quite get on the end of a good run and cross from Farthing.

Gardner then turned provider but Benjamin’s shot was blocked.

Shortwood had a couple of half chances and Thornbury couldn’t quite find the second goal that would kill off the game with Farthing, Gardner & Webb all failing to find the net.

The breakthrough finally came on 70 minutes when Gardner finished from a tighter angle than was strictly necessary and a third followed quickly as a Lancastle dummy set Farthing free who finished in the bottom corner.

Franklin replaced Gardner and the last fifteen saw more chances come and go as the Shortwood ‘keeper produced the save of the match to deny Lancastle, Fowler headed against the post and Franklin and Ryan had good efforts saved.

In time added on a deep Shortwood cross was spilt by Lippiatt and Dion Chambers was on hand to tap the ball in to give the travelling support something to cheer.

Thornbury, still unbeaten in the league, move up to second place but with a break from league action as their next two matches are both cup games and both at home – Cirencester Town on Tuesday and Wellington on Saturday.