A THORNBURY home caught fire when the power came back on following an outage as a result of the stormy weather.

Thornbury's fire fighters have now urged homeowners to turn off all appliances if their power goes out.

In a post on social media, the crew said: "Just attended a house fire in Thornbury.

"Caused by not safely shutting down cooker during the power cut.

"On restoration of electricity cooker re engaged causing house fire.

"Please ensure you check all appliances are safely isolated during any power cuts."