FIREFIGHTERS saved the life of two hamsters after a fire broke out in a property in Dursley yesterday morning, Sunday. 

Two crews from Dursley and Wotton attended the blaze at around 7am.

A tweet from Gloucestershire Fire and Rescue Service blamed the fire on clothing which has been left on storage heater which had caught fire overnight. 

Their tweet said: “Crews from Dursley & Wotton attended a house fire this morning. Clothing left on a storage heater overnight caught fire, please be aware how dangerous this can be luckily nobody hurt two hamsters rescued and taken to safety.” 

A spokesperson for Gloucestershire Fire and Rescue Service said: “GFRS were called at 7.18am on Sunday, October 16 by a member of the public to reports of a fire at Oak Drive, Dursley. 

“Two crews attended, one from Dursley and one from Wotton. 

“Crews used one hose reel, two breathing apparatus and a thermal imaging camera to make sure no people or pets were left inside. 

“The living room was 10% damaged by fire, and 80% damaged by smoke. The crews left at 8.20am.” 

Gloucestershire Fire and Rescue Service originally put out a tweet about the incident on Sunday morning and was republished again today 'in error'.