A DOG had to be rescued by police from a boiling hot car in Thornbury earlier this week. 

Members of the public called emergency services after noticing a large dog trapped inside the scorching vehicle in the Aldi car park at around 5pm on Tuesday, September 5. 

The shaggy dog, thought to be an Irish Wolfhound, was eventually freed from the car by two Avon and Somerset Police officers and given water from the supermarket.

Meanwhile, witnesses have now urged pet owners to remember the dangers of leaving dogs in hot cars. 

A woman, who witnessed the incident, while doing her weekly shop said: “What a day to abandon your poor dog inside a locked car! 

“I don't know what breed the dog was, but it was very big, with brown/grey wiry fur - it looked similar to an Irish Wolfhound. 

“Bad enough to leave any dog, but with its large size and thick coat, it could have got a severe case of heat stroke very fast.”

Gazette Series: The incident took place in the Aldi car park in Thornbury The incident took place in the Aldi car park in Thornbury (Image: Google Maps)

Another witness said: "It frankly beggars belief anyone would leave a dog in a car, when there is so much publicity about how dangerous that is. 

“Far too many animals have died, as a result of owners abandoning their pets like that.

“People often assume leaving a few windows open a crack is sufficient, but it isn't.”

Another witness added: "I have a dog and wouldn't dream of taking it out in the car with me, on a day as hot as this. 

“There is no excuse for it.”

Avon and Somerset Police have been approached for comment. 

While owners are legally responsible for their pet’s health and welfare, it is not illegal to leave a dog in a hot car.

Police officers have the power to break the window of a vehicle to rescue a dog if it is showing signs of heatstroke.

Members of the public are advised to call 999 if they see a dog in distress inside a car.

But owners can face a prison sentence of up to six months or a maximum fine of £20,000 if a dog becomes ill or dies after being left unattended in a vehicle on a hot day.

For RSPCA advice about the dangers of leaving dogs in hot cars see here - tinyurl.com/3n25w5xd