FIREFIGHTERS recently tackled a blaze caused by a barbecue at a park in Thornbury. 

The crew from Thornbury Fire Station extinguished the fire at a picnic bench in Mundy Playing Fields yesterday evening. 

A spokesperson said in a statement that no one was injured in the incident, but those involved were "very embarrassed".

Avon Fire and Rescue Service have also issued a warning to residents. 

The spokesperson said: “Please be careful. We were at an accidental fire at Mundy Playing Fields involving a composite picnic bench which accidentally ignited when someone was having a barbecue and lit a disposable barbecue on top of the bench. 

“Composite outdoor furniture, fencing and decking is all made of composite rubber which is flammable, produces large amounts of toxic smoke and is difficult to extinguish. 

“Please be careful when using heat sources around these items. 

“Luckily no one was hurt in this incident, just very embarrassed.”

Gazette Series: Thornbury Fire StationGazette Series: Thornbury Fire Station

Gazette Series: Thornbury Fire Station

Gazette Series: Thornbury Fire Station