DURSLEY Rugby Club have created a piece of history with a clean sweep of cup trophies at senior level this season.

Dursley completed the set when the second XV, the United side, won the Stroud Combination Junior Cup Final in a tense final at Cirencester where they drew 19-19 with Fairford but won the trophy due to scoring more tries.

The first XV beat Cirencester last month to win the Stroud Combination Senior Cup, while the third team beat Minchinhampton second team, also last month, to take the Bill Adams Trophy.

Dursley chairman Simon Bilous said: “Winning all three trophies is an historic achievement and a testament to the efforts of the players at our club.

“Thank you to the team captains in marshalling our playing resources to compete on three fronts, as well as in the leagues.

“It also reflects our successes in transitioning so many of our youth players into senior rugby. The first team squad of 22 in the final versus Cirencester for the Senior Cup included no fewer than 16 players who had come through our Mini and Youth section, and a further twenty played for the seconds and thirds in their cup campaigns. This is something about which the whole club can feel proud.”

Dursley United captain Stewart Newman was delighted with the victory and said : “I am proud of all the boys who played for me and Dursley RFC. It’s been a pleasure to captain the United side again this year, this moment will live with the team forever. A great day.”

The match itself started slowly with Fairford attacking hard. Early indiscretions lead to two early penalties easily converted by the Fairford kicker. With the storm crashing in the background Dursley rasied the intensity and starting bringing some thunder of their own. Dursleys pack in typical passion started to impose themselves on the game with the set piece going well lead by the front row of Morgan, Case and Plumridge. this pressure and increased territory soon lead to Dursley opening their account with a penalty from Colston.

As the rain fell the game fell in to a familar pattern with Dursley trying to impose themselves physically on the opposition, with Fairford finding space in behind Dursley. Further penalties being landed by both sides as Dursley were over zealous at the breakdown and Fairford failed to cope with Dursleys set piece.

With the weather deteriorating Dursleys back row started to grow in influence in game with surging runs from Number 8 Camm backed up with typical aggression in the tackle and breakdown from flankers Newman and Bailey.

This work lead to two guilt edge chances for Dursley to score on the Fairford left, only for the last pass to go astray.

The half time score was 9-6 to Fairford.

The 2nd half continued much like the 1st with until after some soft penalties and lapse in defense by Dursley the Fairford centres managed to split the Dursley defense and score next the posts. The conversion made it 16-6 to Fairford.

As Fairford attacked hard their tails up and going for the win, things got worse for Dursley as Full Back Whincle was yellow carded for infringements at the break down. The penalty making it 19-6 This seemed to spur on the Dursley team who started playing with a harder edge with all the pack carrying hard and backs making inroads. The pressure causing Fairfords penalty count to increase and Dursley steadily moving up the field. A further penalty took Dursley deep into Fairfords 22, from where the pack perfectly executed a training ground lineout move to send winger Johnson over in the corner, 19-11.

The tide was turning by this point with Dursley showing to be the fitter side, but with a lot of work still to do. The pack started to take control using the dominance of their line out controlled as ever by Niblett, to march the Fairford pack back down the field. Calmness and energy were brought into the pack at this point with introduction of Brooks and Ackhurst respectively, with Bailey moving to centre.

With 10 minutes to go Dursley set another lineout in Fairford territory, which was caught and set, then the pack drove the maul 15 metres over the line for Camm to score, Fairfords pack helpless to stop it. 19-16 With time counting down and still 3 points adrift, Dursley pressed hard time and time again. with time up, Dursley had penalties in the Fairford 22 which were repeatedly stopped illegally with Dursley on top and going for the win. In the last kick of the game, Dursley were awarded another scrum penalty in front of the posts, Dursley captain Newman chose to kick, knowing that this would be the winner. Dursley won based on tries scored.