Thornbury Rugby secured the win after a hotly contested match against Keynsham, running out 10-7 winners.

A last minute drop goal from Sam Poustie earned victory as the teams battled it out under dark clouds.

The match kicked off and Keynsham were on the offensive.

Kicking downhill in the first half they were look to assert themselves on proceedings.

After a period of possession early on, Tom Ford and Louis Osborne secured a turnover and Harry Glew cleared for the Thorns.

As the match approached half time, Keynsham knocked the ball on at the halfway line.

Thornbury paused momentarily but the referee awarded nothing and Keynsham ran through to secure the first try of the game.

The conversion put Keynsham 7-0 up at the break.

After the break, Thornbury kicked off looking to level the scores with an attack of their own.

Jim Massey charged through the Keynsham forwards but unfortunately his drive came to nothing.

Instead, Keynsham headed to the Thornbury 22 line, they then had an extended period of attacking which the Thorns did well to survive.

They held out and the ball was eventually cleared after a turnover.

Shortly afterwards the impressive Jake Wood put a penalty into the corner and Thornbury pushed on.

From the line-out the Thorns picked up the ball and drove for the line.

In the maul they bundled over, however the referee was unable to see the ball carrier and the try was not given.

This infuriated Thornbury who thought they would have the opportunity to get back on level terms.

Play then again changed direction as the home side struggled to deal with the Keynsham attack.

They were pegged back into their own 22 line once again but some fine defending saw them through once more.

Massey then collected the ball and drove through the Keynsham defence. He sprinted towards the try line as it looked as though they would get back on level terms.

The final pass just eluded them however as the ball went missing.

As the game edged towards the final whistle, Louis Ogilvie collected the ball and nearly scored twice.

When in defence yet again Poustie intercepted the ball brilliantly and the game changed.

He sprinted clear and then passed to Bennett on the outside who ran in from 22 yards out.

Wood’s conversion then tied the scores at 7-7 as the clock ticked down.

It looked as though Thornbury would only be rewarded with a draw for their fantastic defensive efforts, however that was not the case.

The home side kept pressing and were rewarded as the light disappeared

They found space for Poustie who picked up the ball and went for the drop goal.

The ball cleared the crossbar by a foot and the referee blew the whistle.

Players and staff from Thornbury celebrated the last ditch effort which left the scores at 10-7.

Thornbury now travel for their next match against Teignmouth at 2.15pm on Saturday in what will be another tough match.