Melksham Town 1

Slimbridge 0

A LAST-GASP Melksham winner denied Slimbridge a share of the spoils, writes Rob Peck.

Earlier, Melksham's Neikell Plumber got his head to a cross, but Lewis Adams was on hand to make the save.

Adams quickly released the ball through the defence and Swans' Christien Turner tried his luck from long range, but his shot sailed over.

With 15 minutes gone Turner played a long through ball to Edji Mbunga on the left, however Alex Shaftoe in the home goal was quickly out to thwart the chasing frontman. At the other end, Melksham gained a corner, but the visitors did well to clear.

The Swans had a great chance on 24 minutes, Josh Beadle and Dan King linking up on the right with King’s cross fired across the box - unfortunately Mbunga arrived just inches away from contact and certain goal.

A Melksham free-kick on the right of the Slimbridge box was expertly dealt with by Korey Pring, who cleared the ball away to safety upfield.

With 10 minutes of the first half remaining Beadle's shot was deflected wide for a corner, captain Dean Turner picked up the short corner and fired in, but the offside flag was raised.

As the half came to an end Plumber got his head to another cross from the right, but it sailed wide of the post.

Slimbridge came out in the second-half in determined mood, with two early corners from the second, Steven Jackson headed against the bar in a crowded box before Beadle fired over from 20 yards.

On 52 minutes Myron Turner's tackle on the edge of the box resulted in a loose ball falling to Simon Gilbert, however Adams was quick to bravely claim the ball at Gilbert's feet.

Three minutes later Jackson’s tackle on Plumber resulted in a corner to the hosts, which, after being cleared by the Swans defence was headed over by full-back Mark Cooper.

On the hour mark the visitors were lucky to remain level when Tom Warrens header from a corner cannoned back off the bar. The game at this point was flowing end-to-end with both teams chasing an elusive first goal.

On 65 minutes, substitute Ewen Dunbar’s header grazed the top of the Melksham crossbar, while immediately at the other end Mark Wall fired over the Swans goal. Five minutes later Mbunga’s powerful shot was deflected over and from the resulting corner Mbunga fired a tame shot that was easily gathered by Shaftoe.

The Swans almost took the lead on 73 minutes, Dean Turner hitting a low screamer from 30 yards out striking the post with the home keeper Shaftoe rooted to the spot. With both sides playing attacking end-to-end football, it was Melksham’s chance to go close.

With a minute to go, Pring headed away a dangerous cross from the left before Norris headed a chance over the bar.

Four minutes into injury time, Reece Rusher was released down the right and fired past Adams to win the game for the home side with the last kick of the game.

The deflated Swans return to action on Tuesday evening travelling the short distance to Cinderford Town in the City Security Services League challenge cup third-round for a place in the last 16. Before that the Under 18s host Gloucester City’s Under 18 side in the Youth County Cup on Monday evening at Thornhill Park, 7.45pm.

Slimbridge: Adams, Maddock (Martin 78), King, Pring, Jackson, C Turner, D Turner, M Turner, Mbunga, Hawes (Dunbar 58), Beadle

Supporters' man-of-the-match: Josh Beadle

Attendance: 294