Forest Green and Mansfield Town shared the spoils in a captivating promotion-chasing clash.

Mansfield opened their account on 14 minutes – Nottingham Forest loanee Jorge Grant breaking the deadlock as he pulled the trigger from Nicky Ajose’s assist before substitute Reuben Reid netted parity for Rovers with 20 minutes to go.

On the pitch, it was a high-octane opening – fifth-placed Rovers were quickly out of the blocks – Carl Winchester spanking over from 25 yards.

Rovers had bossed the opening exchanges, but Mansfield opened their account on 14 minutes – Nottingham Forest loanee Jorge Grant broke the deadlock as he pulled the trigger from a Nicky Ajose assist – his third in a week.

Rovers responded and upped the ante, but survived a 32nd minute reprieve. Grant arrowed over a cross for the unmarked Ajose to glance his free header against the post with James Montgomery rooted to his line.

George Williams’ powder puff volley from Gavin Gunning’s raking pass seven minutes from the break remined Mansfield that Rovers were still in the game.

Mansfield struck the woodwork for the second time in the match - Tyler Walker’s 25-yard howitzer clipping the underside of the bar on 39 minutes.

Cooper hooked Nathan McGinley at the break, ushering on midfield dynamo LIoyd James.

Rovers were quickly out of the traps – Christian Doidge skewing wide and Paul Digby arching over.

Rovers were forced into a goalkeeping change on the hour – Montgomery sustaining a facial injury when smothering at the feet of Mansfield substitute Gethin Jones catching the Rovers’ keeper in the face.

Rovers levelled it on 70 minutes – substitute Reuben Reid coming in from the cold to flick home a header from a Liam Shephard standing up a delivery for Reid’s seventh of the season.

Sub Rovers’ keeper Lewis Ward was quick out of the blocks to pinch the ball off the advancing Grant as the game swung from end-to-end in the last quarter of the game.

Doidge and Winchester traded passes with Winchester firing over.

Grant failed to find the top corner when CJ Hamilton teed him up with 10 minutes left on the clock.

The game was up for grabs – Reid scooped over the bar with just Jordan Smith to beat with six minutes to go and Smith got a touch to a stoppage time strike from Reece Brown.

Forest Green (3-5-2) Montgomery (Ward 60); McGinley (James 45), Gunning, Rawson; Mills, Digby, Brown, Winchester, Shephard; Williams (Reid 58), Doidge Subs not used: McClousky, Collins, Campbell, Mondal

Mansfield Town: (3-4-2-1) Smith; Pearce, Sweeney, Preston; Benning, Bishop, Mellis, Hamilton; Walker, Grant; Ajose (Jones 56)

Subs not used: Logan

Attendance: 2,128

Away: 228

Star Man: Gavin Gunning

Referee: C Sarginson

Next up: Forest Green travel to Swindon Town on Saturday, 3pm.