Longwell Green 0

Winterbourne U18s 2

WINTERBOURNE U18s remain undefeated in the Bristol Combination League this season after a hard earned 2-0 away win against closest rivals Longwell Green, writes Simon Evans.

Bourne started the match playing with a very strong wind advantage and it was the hosts, who were struggling to cope with the conditions. The visitors went close when Will Lacey used his pace to create an opening, but his attempt was off target.

Longwell then had a chance of their own when top scorer Jamie Chamberlain broke clear into the penalty box, but dragged his attempt well wide of the goal.

Winterbourne grew into the game and started to dominate territory and possession and went close after a fine long range effort by Tommie Bright sailed just over the crossbar. The main threat was coming down the left through Kieran Joseph and they took the lead after a fine run by Joseph saw his cross fall to Lacey in the box who played in Ben Davis who slotted home to open the scoring. Soon after the visitors doubled their lead when Lacey again showed strength and composure to score.

Longwell had a chance to reduce the deficit just before half-time when Chamberlain again broke clear but he was thwarted by the alert and brave reaction of Kieran Sullivan who was playing in goal instead of his usual centre-back position due to Winterbourne’s regular keeper not being available.

The second-half started with Longwell putting the visitors under early pressure but Winterbourne’s defence led by George Huke and captain Toby Griffin ensured that any danger was comfortably dealt with.

It was the visitors turn to battle the elements and they played the conditions better than their hosts did in the first-half as they wasted several opportunities to extended their lead.

The match was now a midfield battle and as the slippery sticky pitch deteriorated further both sets of players were struggling to stay on their feet and play free-flowing football.

Winterbourne came closest to scoring when substitute Harrison Young saw his attempt go wide of the goal. Longwell did not create any clear cut chances in the second-half and the last chance fell to the visitors when they were awarded a free-kick just outside the penalty box but Henry Birt’s attempt failed to test the home keeper.

Winterbourne now stretch their laead at the top to 10 points as we enter the business end of the season.