Teignmouth 24 Thornbury 21

A young and inexperienced Thornbury suffered a narrow defeat against fellow strugglers Teignmouth despite Thornbury a determined performance.

Thornbury were at a disadvantage.

Believing the match had been postponed, Thorns were instructed to play late on Friday and took a severely under-strength side to Teignmouth for a crucial match in the lower regions of the table.

Although Thorns lost, they returned home with a losing bonus point which may prove vital in the fight for survival.

Teignmouth kicked off and were immediately stunned by a Thornbury try scored after only 29 seconds.

Thornbury gathered the kick-off, Jak Evans hoisted a box kick which Alfie Richardson chased and gathered and raced clear to score.

Jake Wood converted for a perfect start.

A second score looked a distinct possibility shortly afterwards but Thorns made a hash of the lineout and Teignmouth counter-attacked through their backs, taking play deep into Thornbury territory.

They remained there until they were awarded a fortuitous try which reduced Thorns’ lead to 7-5.

They went ahead after a second try from a maul close to the Thornbury line and led 10-7 at the break.

Thorns regained the lead two minutes into the second half when Richardson took a clearing kick on his own ten metre line and sliced through the Teignmouth midfield on a spectacular run to ten metres from the Teignmouth line.

The ball was moved left and Sam Poustie dummied his way through to score between the posts. Wood added the extras for a 14-10 lead.

Thornbury couldn’t get their hands on the ball, and the lineout wasn’t working.

The efficient Teignmouth pack scored a third try from a series of pick-and-go drives close to the line and the conversion restored their lead at 17-14.

Thorns’ backs looked dangerous and Rich Bennett was tackled a metre short then as the match entered its final quarter, Thorns regained the lead with one of the best tries of the season.

James Donohue took play up the right towards halfway. The ball was recycled and good passing put Poustie into space.

Wood came in on a great line and swerved through the defence to score between the posts. He converted his try and Thorns were ahead again at 21-17.

The lead changed for the fifth and final time five minutes later when Teignmouth scored a converted try from a driving lineout to lead 24-21.

Then with the clock in stoppage time Teignmouth launched a series of assaults on the Thornbury line.

Thorns had to dig deep but kept their line intact and preserved the losing bonus point.

With everything stacked up against them Thornbury did remarkably well.

Next Saturday Thornbury have another difficult match at Devonport Services, kicking off at 2:30.