Yate 3 Winchester 2

Ten men Yate Town returned to winning ways as they came back from behind to beat Winchester City in dramatic style writes Tom Mason.

The game was very tight throughout, but the host’s quality saw them claim another important three points in their push for the title, after Joe Guest was sent off just before half time.

Olly Mehew was once again influential netting the opener, while second half sub, Michael Bryant scored a brace.

The result means that Paul Britton's side remain one point behind Blackfield and Langley, after the Hampshire club scored a last gasp winner at Bideford.

Britton made three changes from last weekend’s 2-1 defeat at Barnstaple Town, Mayson Evans, Adam Price and Jack Twyman coming in for Michael Bryant, Sam Kamara and Sam Boulton.

It was the visitors who began the game the stronger, with City striker Oliver Bailey missing two golden chances, in particular when he was denied by a brilliant tackle by Elliot Keightley.

The home side really struggled to deal with the visitor’s intensity early on and should've been at least two down by the midway point of the half, as Simba Mlambo also tested James Carey in the Yate net.

Having withstood the early pressure, the hosts took the lead through OIly Mehew, capitalising on some confusion in the visitor’s box before latching onto the ball and slotting into the bottom corner.

It was nearly two just minutes later, but Price's chip was cleared off the line by City full back Danny King.

The turning point of the first half came when Joe Guest was dismissed for a second yellow after denying the visitors to take a quick free kick to leave Yate a real battle of claiming a win.

Yate saw it through to half time and led at the break thanks to Mehew's strike, despite not being at their best.

It took the visitors just two minutes to equalize after the break, Bailey knocking the ball into the six yard box to allow Mlambo to level the scores.

Just four minutes later the away side took the lead as skipper Jamie Barron struck low into the bottom right corner to complete the turn around.

Winchester were ahead for just ten minutes as second half sub Bryant headed in from Nick Peare's corner to level the game.

The hosts were in the ascendency after equalising and took the lead for the second time of the match, Bryant again after brilliant work from Mehew with a super solo run before finding Bryant unmarked in the box, who applied the finish and gave his side the lead.

Britton's side had chances to finish Winchester off, the best chance of which came when Bryant was played through by Price, but he fired his effort over the top.

The away side threw everything at their hosts, but even with ten men Yate held firm and hung on for a crucial three points at the top of the table.

Next up for the Bluebells, it's a potential title decider as leaders Blackfield and Langley, who are just one point ahead of Yate, visit Lodge Road.

Line-ups: Yate Town: Carey (GK), Humphreys, Keightley, Peare ©, Ford, Evans, Price, Guest, Mehew (Brooks 90), Sims-Burgess (Bryant 55), Twyman (Kamara 85)

Winchester City: Price (GK), Hayward (Hill 72) , King (Rawkins 76), Gilbert (Mitford 69), Flooks, Harfield, Cook, Barron ©, Bailey, Mlambo, Carr

Attendance: 316

Referee: Craig Scriven