Thornbury Town have maintained their chase for league honours with two away victories in three days following a 2-0 win at Pewsey Vale and a 5-1 victory at New College, Swindon, writes Malcolm Carr.

Thorns were not at their best for Saturday’s trip to Pewsey, with the hosts proving better than their lowly league position suggested. However, Town made the perfect start when they took the lead after five minutes. Toby Bennett had already fired narrowly wide when Luke Franklin’s crossfield pass found Joe Guest, whose surge into the penalty area saw him brought down. Craig Lancastle stepped up to take the resultant penalty, giving Lavis no chance from the spot.

On 20 minutes Thorns doubled their lead with what could well be their goal of the season. A move down the left saw the ball played to Lancastle and Town’s leading scorer lashed in a shot from the left of the penalty area into the top corner of the net. Pewsey were limited to one effort from Flippance that went wide of Town’s goal, but five minutes before the break a Tom Webb cross into the penalty area found Lancastle who teed up the ball for Dave Jones but his goal bound effort was deflected over the bar by Turner.

Thornbury had the chance to put the game beyond doubt after the break. Asher Budd and Matt Davis linked up but Lavis managed to save Budd’s effort and a couple of minutes later Davis shot narrowly wide with just Lavis to beat.

THORNBURY'S trip to bottom side New College wasn’t quite as comfortable as the scoreline suggests with Town finding it difficult to settle on a bobbly pitch against quick, energetic opposition.

Thornbury took the lead on 16 minutes, Asher Budd heading home Toby Bennett’s free-kick.

They doubled their lead 10 minutes later, Craig Lancastle controlling Nathan Sage’s ball into the area, before turning and firing past Jack Harper. Harry Brock and Matt Davis both had efforts that went just the wrong side of the woodwork but the hosts were still a threat when they broke quickly and Benjamin had to be alert to tip a Kushal effort over the bar just before the break.

Town started the second-half on the front foot and four minutes in, a good build up saw the ball played out to Marcus Wormwell who fired home from 10 yards out. Rockett then had a shot saved before Joe Guest was judged to have fouled Kusahl in the penalty area, Mazzotta making no mistake from the spot kick.

However Town restored their advantage a couple of minutes later when Mark Viner steered home from Matt Davis’ pass.

Rockett had another effort that was pushed on to the post by Benjamin before Thorns wrapped up the game with 15 minutes left, Nathan Sage heading home from Nathan Irwin’s corner. Toby Bennett had an effort saved by Harper before an Irwin effort rattled the crossbar with the keeper beaten.

Just one season after winning promotion from the County League, Thornbury will secure runners-up spot in Hellenic Division One West if they win their final two games of the season.

Thornbury welcome Pewsey Vale on Saturday, 3pm, whilst on Easter Monday Newent Town are the visitors, 6pm.

The Newent game is part of the Hellenic League Groundhopper Weekend and Thorns officials are expecting a large crowd, with visitors from various parts of the country. In the circumstances the club would really appreciate it if local supporters would park in any of the Town car parks, including Castle Court and walk to the ground, rather than trying to park at the Mundy Fields.