Bluefin Sports Hellenic League Supplementary Cup Final

Thornbury Town 2

Wallingford Town 1

THORNBURY TOWN'S first season of Hellenic League football came to a successful end on Saturday when they won their third trophy in two years, overcoming a resilient Wallingford Town at Thame with a late winner from leading scorer Craig Lancastle, writes Malcolm Carr.

After a two-hour coach journey to Thame it wasn’t surprising that Thornbury took time to settle and neither keeper was seriously tested in the opening stages although Nathan Sage almost converted a Toby Bennett free-kick, but couldn’t get enough power in his shot and Wallingford keeper Liam Vaughan was able to save. Vaughan was in action again moments later heading clear a long kick from Kurtis Parkin that Harry Brock looked to get on the end of.

Wallingford’s leading scorer Silkstone had their first effort on goal 20 minutes in, but Parkin saved easily. The deadlock was almost broken five minutes later when Brock’s effort was blocked by Baitup and Pete Fowler’s header from the resultant corner was cleared off the line.

Silkstone and La Paih were causing problems for Thorns back line and on the half-hour mark Silkstone screwed a shot narrowly wide of the far post, whilst Ashley Searle had a goalbound effort cleared by Joe Guest.

Thornbury had the perfect start to the second-half, when just four minutes in Toby Bennett’s corner was headed home at the far post by Nathan Sage. However, their advantage was short lived when a couple of minutes later Wallingford mounted an attack down the left and after Town failed to clear their lines, Searle fired home from 10 yards giving Kurtis Parkin no chance. This led to a period of Wallingford pressure and Taylor and Silkstone both spurned good chances, whilst a superb tackle by Guest ended a great run by La Paih as the midfielder threatened to score. Guest was in action again minutes later clearing another effort of the line .

Thornbury carved their way back into the game although they struggled to seriously trouble Vaughan, with the Wallingford defence providing plenty of cover.

Runs from Tom Webb and Harry Brock into the heart of the Wallingford defence came to nothing until six minutes from time a Webb cross was headed away by Taylor for a corner. From the resultant set piece Sage flicked on Bennett’s cross and Craig Lancastle was on hand to head home at the far post to score what proved to be the winner.

The season comes to an end on a high note and the club will look to build further over the summer to continue the success they have enjoyed under manager Andy Davies over the last five seasons.