Bristol Rovers proved too strong for Yate Town as they put 10 past the Bluebells in their pre-season curtain raiser. 

Rovers outclassed Yate in the second half where they scored pretty much every time they went forward.

Despite the scoreline, Yate were competitive in the first half. After falling 2-0 down, they missed a penalty and pulled a goal back and could have easily been level but once the Pirates got their third, they went on to score a further seven in the second half and it was one way traffic from there. 

Rovers almost took the lead in the first minute when Deon Moore capitalised on a mistake in midfield and was one on one with debutant Adam Forster but he blazed his shot over the bar.

Yate settled well after that but fell behind on 12 minutes when Kyle Bennett’s cross was hooked into the bottom corner by Moore to give Graham Coughlan's men the lead.

The hosts responded well. Adam Price teed up Nick Peare who arrowed in a shot from 25 yards which took a deflection and just went wide.

On 18 minutes, Rovers doubled their lead when Bennett danced his way towards the area, skipping past three defenders before slotting past Forster.

It should have been 3-0 on 22 minutes after Cameron Hargreaves crossed for Tom Nichols who’s first time effort was saved at point blank range and Nichols fluffed his lines with the rebound.

Yate went straight down the other end and were awarded a penalty after Jake Lee was brought down by Jordi van Stappershoef.

Olly Mehew stepped up but failed to bring the Bluebells back into as his tame effort was saved by the keeper low to his right.

The Bluebells did pull one back on 28 minutes when Nick Peare headed in from close range after a brilliant cross by new boy Jake Lee.

Yate almost drew level on 38 minutes when Lee forced van Stappershoef into a fine save as he tipped Lee’s header over the bar. Within the blink of an eye, from thinking they’d equalised, Yate fell further behind.

The ball came into their box and Moore cut it back to Tom Nichols who fired in an absolute rocket from 22 yards out into the top corner.

There was little Forster could do about it and an entertaining first half ended 3-1 to the visitors.

Rovers made 10 changes at half time, with the keeper the only player returning for the second half.

They made the perfect start to the second period as they extended their lead on 47 minutes when Ollie Clarke rifled home from 20 yards out.

Rovers made it 5-1 on 55 minutes when Alex Rodman smashed in Bernard Mensah's cross at the far post and the game was effectively over as a contest as Yate struggled to match their superior opponents.

They made it 6-1 on the hour when Gavin Reilly went round the keeper and slotted into the empty net.

Liam Monelle was on for his Yate debut by this point while a familiar face returned to Lodge Road as Alexi Andre Jr replaced van Stappershoef.

Reilly got his second of the match from close range on 62 minutes to make it 7-1.

Seven minutes later, Reilly completed his hat-trick with a powerful low strike from the left inside the area.

The ninth goal came after a slick move saw Clarke play Reilly through and his arrowed effort across goal looked to be going in but Mensah tapped in to make sure.

Rovers were desperate to hit double figures and they did 82 minutes when Clarke scored arguably the goal of the game with a thunderous strike from 25 yards.

There was a rare sight of goal for Yate on 86 minutes. Lee did well on the right and was able to cut the ball back and it eventually came to Monelle who got a shot away but it was a simple stop for Andre Jr.

In the end, fitness and quality showed and Rovers were 10-1 victors. 

Yate take on Forest Green Rovers in their next friendly on Wednesday, July 17. 

Yate line-up: Forster (GK), Evans, Ford, Boulton, Keightley, Kamara, Peare, Price, Humphreys, Lee, Mehew.
Subs: Bryant, Monelle, Malpass, Spence, Owusu-Nepaul. 

Bristol Rovers first half: van Stappershoef, Little, Kilgour, Craig, Morgan, Hargreaves, Mehew, Sercombe, Bennett, Nichols, Moore. 

Bristol Rovers second half: van Stappershoef (Andre Jr), Hare, Davies, Menayese, Hoole, Russe, Clarke, Tomlinson, Mensah, Rodman, Reilly. 

Attendance: 1,100

Referee: Sam Fudge